Friday, June 5, 2009

I've been taking quite a few photographs here lately. Just thought I'd share a few favorites ...


My darling husband and I drove out the Tamiami Trail for the first time ever. Neither of us had ever been there (after 30+ years of living here!) and following our adventures in the Redlands the week before, we decided it was time. The Tamiami Trail, for those who don't know, is a road that cuts east-west across the southern tip of the Florida Peninsula. It cuts right through Big Cypress National Preserve in the heart of the southern Everglades. It's so far out there, as a matter of fact, that there's no cell phone signal. When you get out there, you are definitely way out in no man's land.

I shot over 200 pictures, but this one is my favorite so far. It's a lonely little flower peeking out of the sawgrass plains along the side of the road.




I attended an Everglades Working Group meeting at Long Key Nature Center and as I was leaving the building I noticed this tree. I once worked for a flower shop and we often used tree fern to fill in flower arrangements. This tree, however, made me think differently about "tree fern." Isn't nature interesting?



Here's my guy, Boris A. Flufoshinski, aka "Mr. Fluffy." He is the boss of our neighborhood! All the other cats watch him carefully and stay out of his way because they know he's trouble! Mr. Fluffy is going to be 17-years-old in the fall. He came tumbling out of a cardboard box at Christmas when my daughter was five and he's been the boss of us ever since! This is his favorite nap spot, as he likes to have a pillow to prop his head up! And, he always snoozes on my side of the bed, though I couldn't tell you why this is ...

1 comment:

Piper said...

Nice photos. Mr Fluffy is still amazinly ageless to me. I have a hard time with the time frame. I seem to remember when he arrived. But I've known you since 1993, yeah I guess the friggin time just flies by. I too remember a time where all I did was write in my journal and hand write letters to my mom from various cafes in my travels. Walk sandy beaches and explore new cities. Well I do like your crochet work cool, the problem with wearing a crochet dress is that it shows everything. Barbies stuff doesn't jiggle. lol