Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bohemian ~ what is it exactly?


Bo·he·mi·an 

[boh-hee-mee-uhn]  
noun
1.
a native or inhabitant of Bohemia.
2.
(usually lowercasea person, as an artist or writer, who lives and acts free of regard for conventional rules and practices.
3.
the Czech languageespecially as spoken in Bohemia.
4.
a Gypsy.
Bohemian artist Beatrice Wood who died at age 105.


I was looking through my pin boards on Pinterest and discovered some underlying themes. I like old stuff, vintage stuff, stuff that isn't matchy-matchy, stuff and people with character, clothes that look like you've owned them for a long time and homes that appear to have been occupied for a lot of years.



That's what I think of when I hear the word "bohemian." So, I decided to look it up and find out what it REALLY means.


Bohemia is an historical region in central Europe now identified as the Czech Republic. The word itself comes from the French, Bohême, and, in our society, one thinks of artists as being bohemian. 
I remember as a girl my parents had friends who were often referred to as bohemian. She was a painter and he was a writer for the local newspaper. They always looked different from everyone else in those days (1957-1963), so I guess the word was used correctly.

I think a lot of it has to do with money. Artists and writers often don't have well paying jobs, so they must make do with what they have. Their homes reflect their creativity in the absence of funding and their style is evolved from shopping second hand.

What's funny (to me) is how bohemian style has been embraced by the younger generation of today. Some say it's the 1970s influence, but I see it as a mirror of these tough economic times.




Whatever it is, I like it.

So, my Pinterest boards reflect a little bohemian spirit. 

For that reason, I've captured a few of my favorite images for your perusal today. 

I hope you enjoy seeing them! 


No comments: