Thursday, February 12, 2015

it's a wonderful life




I could be handy, mending a fuse
when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me,
will you still feed me
when I'm sixty-four?

Second verse of the song by the Beatles





I had a fantastic birthday weekend. I took Friday and Monday off from work and did some things. On Friday, I mostly puttered around the house. I like puttering and I am a good putterer.

Saturday, I started my birthday morning at Jazzercise with a Personal Touch class with Darlene. It's a personal trainer kind of environment, but instead of one-on-one, it is a small class with the focus on technique and strength building. We do a lot of core work. It seems a strong core is really super important. We did a lot of planks. A lot. Planks are hard. I am much better at puttering.

Saturday afternoon I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours with a wonderful doll friend and his partner. We sat in his "workshop" surrounded by dolls dressed in his 1950s inspired fashions and drank wine and talked about dolls and love and life. It was deeee-lightful!

He made for me a miniature of the first Barbie Dream House. You can see Poppy Parker holding it in the photo there ... and there was a sweet, pink cupcake and a sweet card to make me feel sweet. It worked!

Saturday evening my darling husband took me out for dinner at an exquisite Thai restaurant I had never been to before. I asked him if he'd brought his girlfriend there. LOL! He's so funny! He goes along with my teasing because he knows I'm so terrible at it!

Sunday was a very laid back kind of day. DH did the grocery shopping, I did the laundry and we napped. My girls came over for a vegetarian dinner and mango key lime pie and they brought me flowers and made me feel special. My brother gave me a lovely gift of a stainless steel anchor with gold trim on a black cord. I put it on immediately and love it! He said I'm his anchor and a few other people's as well. I wonder if that's a good thing ...

Monday I helped a gifted artist install her one-woman show in our little neighborhood art gallery. She's interesting as a person and fascinating as an artist. She's created wonderful collage filled bird cages that are delightful and thought provoking. She uses such odd materials to create her art ... everything from vintage books and papers to store receipts, fabrics, photos and rusty metal. You just never know what you'll find in one of Janet's collages!


Now, it's hump day, the temps are falling and it's chilly by south Florida standards and we're going into a 3-day holiday weekend. You never know what might happen! So far, it's been fun being 64!


No comments: