Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Animal Cruelty

I discovered this picture on Tumblr yesterday. I was so disturbed by it that I downloaded it so I could study it more closely. I know that mice and rats are intelligent, but I have to ask: is this real? And, if it is real, who taught the mouse how to hold onto the swing? And, is this the right thing to do?

I am a regular donor to the Humane Society of the United States because they fight animal cruelty on so many levels. I came to HSUS because of the Canadian seal slaughter each spring ... an issue that HSUS has worked diligently to end. Then, I learned about the other work that they do. Rescuing animals from hoarding situations (dogs, cats, birds, exotics, etc.) and finding them new homes. Lobbying for legislation to put regulations in place for puppy mills, as puppy mill owners are among the worst abusers of animals I have heard about, breeding dogs to make money, with no regard for humane treatment of the animals. There's the dog fighting and cock fighting ~ issues that HSUS has achieved success with recently. And, the treatment of farm animals ... chickens, pigs and cows ... working with professional farmers and legislators to bring about compromise for the humane treatment of animals that we use for food.

So, back to the mouse in the swing ... is this cruel?

I cannot say for sure. There's no question that it is a startling and adorable photograph, but I wonder about the little mouse. His eyes are dilated and his ears are tucked down. In most animals, this is a sign of distress. So, I ask you: is this a good thing?

I say, "Poor little mouse." And, I wonder what is wrong with the person who took the picture ...

2 comments:

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I think it's wrong to use animals in purely for entertainment purposes and while the picture is really cute, I doubt that the little mouse is enjoying it!

PoetC7 said...

Maybe that's why he looks like he's holding on for dear life ...