Wednesday, July 2, 2014

a day without my cell phone ...

At 7:58 AM  I parked in the office lot and turned off the motor. As I reached across to the passenger's seat to grab my handbag, I realized I had forgotten my cell phone. Left it at home. My Galaxy S4. My "Life Companion."

I cannot just run back home and get it. It's a 25-minute drive under optimum conditions and conditions are not optimum today. I found myself thinking, "What kind of day will this be withOUT my phone? What in the world am I going to do?"

Then, I felt this emptiness in my chest for a brief moment. My big girl voice saying, "Cool it, chica. You'll be fine." My little girl voice saying, "I don't knooooww."

11:06 AM  THANK YOU, Google+!  I've had to look up 3 phone numbers so far this morning that I would have searched for on my phone. It just goes to show you that all the personal data we store on our phones has relevance to our daily lives. However, I appreciate Google+ even more than before. My camera phone photos are backed up. I have access, albeit, not mobile access. Still. I cannot say enough good things about Google+! If you've never used it, you're missing a great service. And, what's even better: IT'S FREE!

2:08 PM  A couple more hours and I can go home to my smart phone. What an awful thing to say, right?

Lunch time was a bore. I usually catch up on my reading and play a few rounds of Words With Friends. Today, I was relegated to reading the newspaper. Talk about a throwback to an earlier era! They're talking about moving the manatee from Endangered to Threatened status, an idea I do not endorse. Too many of them are still being killed by speeding boats. A 3-month-old baby is in intensive care and his mother has been arrested, and that was a sad story to read. And, last, but certainly not least, an investigation has revealed that former Sheriff Al Lamberti's staff destroyed his computer before the new sheriff took office, so I can't help but wonder what he's hiding. So, there's your local news for this afternoon, courtesy of the woman with no smart phone!

5:33 PM  I am finishing this at home on my smart phone. I survived. But, I did miss it. A lot. It's been a long time since I did that. I hope it's a long time until I do it again!


No comments: