Tuesday, January 29, 2008

my granddaughter is a rebel



I just got off the phone with my 15-year-old granddaughter's father. He's not my son-in-law, because he never married my daughter, but he is her dad. Anyway, this kid is in a lot of trouble. She just recently came to live with her dad after going through a whole lot of crisis type stuff with her mom that included skipping school, smoking pot, shoplifting and lying. Her mom wasn't able to deal with her and they apparently came to blows over something. So, now she's with her dad.

He's got her in a special school for kids with her kind of problems, but the system isn't moving fast enough. While he waits for help for her, she's lying to him about things and doing stuff she shouldn't be doing --- like smoking pot and sneaking off to meet "friends" he doesn't think are good for her.

She's going to be staying at my house tonight, until he can get himself together and think it through. He's already been in trouble with the family courts for the way he's expressed his anger towards her in the past, so he's very cautious about being with her when he's upset.

I'm distressed because I don't know how to help this child. I love her very much, but I'm also aware of how manipulative she can be. She learned it from her mom. Who learned it from me.

Where do we go from here?

No comments: